Sunday, August 30, 2015

I Hopped a Hampton Jitney to See "Grey Gardens"

I am on a role this year. 

First, I went to Bard

Then I discovered Arden in Philly

Then, I binged on art and theater in the Berkshires

And last weekend, I hopped a jitney to Sag Harbor to see a musical I missed when it played on Broadway - Grey Gardens [Book: Doug Wright; Music: Scott Frankel; Lyrics: Michael Korie]. 

Now, from what I understand, I missed a pretty damn good production on Broadway in 2006. But for me, it was well worth the trip to Long Island, only a stones throw away from the actual Grey Gardens to see Rachel York and Betty Buckley. 
The 1977 documentary and 2009 HBO film about Edith Bouvier Beale and her daughter "Little" Edie Beale are absolutely fascinating. 

The wealth

The withdrawal

The squalor

Where was their family????

Admittedly, I still don't understand how the Beale's fall from grace was allowed to happen. 

But never mind, let's just experience Betty Buckley's "Jerry Likes My Corn" one more time...

No comments:

Post a Comment