Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Williamstown Theatre Festival - Part I


I have been yearning to attend the Williamstown Theatre Festival for several years now. I've admired the top notch actors and creative teams involved in the festival and taken note of the Broadway transfers. And when I sat through Donald Margulies' play The Country House set in the Berkshires during the festival,I decided that summer 2015 (rain or shine), I would make my way to Williamstown MA. 

It took a few attempts, but I eventually reserved a room at The Williams Inn. I then purchased a ticket to Dominique Morisseau's world premiere Paradise Blue. I was happy to see that Ruben Santiago-Hudson was directing, and since Blair Underwood is easy on the eye, I was also looking forward to seeing him in the second play of Ms Morisseau's Detroit 3-play cycle The Detroit Project. After even more attempts than it took to get a room at the inn, I made a dinner reservation at Mezze Bistro. With that, I was ready to head north.  

My weekend in the Berkshires was an absolute delight. The weather was lovely, and I binged mercilessly on art. At the Norman Rockwell Museum, I looked at each and every one of Rockwell's The Saturday Evening Post covers and was moved as usual by his civil rights pieces. At The Clark, I spent some time with Whistler's Mother, checked out Van Gogh and Nature and toured the museum, enchanted by ebullient intern who led the tour and shared her favorite pieces in the museum. 

Oh and by the way, I saw my first WTF production (I will write a bit more in another post). 

In the meantime though, a super big shout out for the the Berkshires and WTF...

No comments:

Post a Comment