Sunday, May 24, 2015

I Finally Make it to the Fisher Center at Bard College

Earlier this month, I had the pleasure of seeing The Aaron Diehl Trio featuring Cécile McLorin Salvant at the stunning Frank Gehry designed Richard B. Fisher Center at Bard College. 

It was truly a pleasant getaway. I started the Spring evening by having a Mediterranean inspired dinner at The Corner at the art-filled Tivoli Hotel. While sipping cocktails on the patio, I watched passerbys in the small Hudson Valley town and then I got busy with my tagine chicken and the rest of my meal. 

After coffee, I headed down the road to the Fisher Center. It was a sight to behold as I descended on this piece of art. I truly wish I had given myself a little more time to just stand outside on the perfectly manicured grounds and admire the structure and backdrop.

The evening only got better as I was transported to another time - a Jazz age - as Cécile McLorin Salvant, and the Aaron Diehl trio augmented with a brass section of musicians honored the music of Billie Holiday. Ms. Salvant, a true talent, served Billie Holiday well, making those who never had the opportunity to see THE original live, understand why we are still moved in 2015, Billie Holiday's centennial birth year.

Overall, just a wonderful evening... 

And with that, here is a piece that Ms. Salvant pointed out in her tribute - a recorded live performance of Jeepers Creepers featuring the incomparable Billie Holiday. 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment