Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Theater is like "Classical Music"

I can't help but nod my head as I read a quote by Chris Rock in New York Metro "When you do stand up or even a movie, it's like jazz music. With a play, it's the world of the playwright...It's classical music as opposed to jazz." 

Speaking of jazz, I spotted Terence Blanchard entering the Schoenfeld theater on the first night of previews for The Mother_______ With the Hat and told him that I dug his music.  He replied that he hoped that I enjoyed the music in the performance.  With such an amazing jazz musician working on the play, I expected the music to make more of an impact; however, I must admit that it did not. Profanity, hollywood stars, the colorful Yul Vázquez as Cousin Julio and even the interesting spinning stage overshadowed the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment