Sunday, November 1, 2015

I Spent Halloween Night at the Apollo's New Orleans Jazz Masquerade Featuring Tony Award Winner Dee Dee Bridgewater


Last night, I had a banging time at the New Orleans Jazz Masquerade. Dee Dee Bridgewater, Irvin Mayfield and the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra set the Apollo Theater on fire. They regaled the house with New Orleans jazz classics as well as tunes from their new album Dee Dee's Feathers. After the concert, I remained in the Apollo and listened to DJ Olivia Dope spin a few beats. Then I was fortunate to be admitted to the sold out afterparty in the Apollo Music Cafe, where I boogied to the funky Brass-A-Holics. To end the evening, Dee Dee Bridgewater joined the Brass-A-Holics and took us home. 

What an evening!

But I am not here to brag about my fun-filled Halloween night. 

Throughout the evening, Irvin Mayfield repeatedly introduced Dee Dee Bridgewater as three time Grammy Award winner as well as a Tony winner. Each time, he said that, I paused and scratched my head because I could not recall for what performance the super talented Jazz singer won a Tony. So, with my extra hour from the end of Daylight Savings time, I am hitting up the Broadway and Tony Award databases to answer the question. 

According to the Broadway database, Mrs. Bridgewater appeared in the following: 

The 1940's Radio Hour -  Oct 07, 1979 - Jan 06, 1980
The Wiz - Jan 05, 1975 - Jan 28, 1979

I didn't see many Broadway shows during the period when these productions occurred. Okay, okay, I didn't see any production (I was too young). But after reviewing the list of productions, it is now clear. Dee Dee Bridgewater won the 1975 Tony for best Supporting or Featured Actress in a Musical for Glinda in The Wiz


No comments:

Post a Comment