Sunday, September 27, 2015

The Broadway Revival of D.L. Coburn's "The Gin Game"


When I saw A Trip to Bountiful in April 2013, I jumped to my feet at curtain call and applauded like it was going outta style, convinced that this would be the first and last time that I would see Cicely Tyson on the New York City stage. So, how cool is it that two short years later, at the end of a historic week in NYC, I get to take my mom and good friend to see Cicely Tyson (again) and the legendary James Earl Jones in D.L. Coburn's The Gin Game.

Now, I was a bit concerned about seeing the play so early in previews, but silly me, I forgot that I was going to see two Tony Award winning pros, who made their Broadway debuts in the late 50s and have over 100 years of acting experience between them. 

Needless to say, the aging comedy-drama was a solid production. 

I laughed. 
Then I got quiet.
Then I laughed again. 
Then I got a little nervous.
Then I laughed. 
Then I got quiet. 

Then I jumped up and applauded like it was going out of style, convinced that this would be the second and last time I would see Cicely Tyson on the New York City Stage. 

Then I went home and thanks to youtube watched the original production starring real life married couple at the time Hume Cronyn and Jessica Tandy. 

And now, I am a little worried as I enter the second act of my life... 

No comments:

Post a Comment