Monday, August 10, 2015

Rodgers and Hammerstein Shows - Exactly, How Many Were There?


At Thursdays New York Pops concert in Forest Hills, music director and conductor Steven Reineke plugged their upcoming Fall concert at Carnegie Hall - The Songs of Rodgers and Hammerstein with guests Sierra Boggess (ooooh) and Steven Pasquale (aaaah). He noted that the New York Pops orchestra would play music from all thirteen Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein shows. 

Thirteen shows?

I tried to recall all of them but could not. Oklahoma! came to mind since I recently read about the Bard production. Then I thought about a Kelli O'Hara interview I listened to where she mentioned starring in two Rodgers and Hammerstein productions at Lincoln Center - South Pacific and now The King and I. I even recalled Pipe Dreams because I specifically went to see quiet legend Leslie Uggams in the Encores production a couple of years ago. Then of course with all The Wiz press, I recalled the NBC live production of The Sound of Music which then made me think of the first black Cinderella recently on Broadway. Then I pretty much struggled to name another Rodgers and Hammerstein show. So I look them up...

Still I cannot name thirteen productions. 

So, what am I missing?? Of did I hear Mr. Reineke incorrectly??

Rodgers and Hammerstein Shows 

  1. Oklahoma!
  2. Carousel
  3. State Fair
  4. Allegro
  5. South Pacific
  6. The King and I 
  7. Me and Juliet
  8. Pipe Dream
  9. Cinderella
  10. Flower Drum Song
  11. The Sound of Music 
  12. A Grand Night for Singing (revue)


No comments:

Post a Comment