Thursday, June 18, 2015

I Walked Around Town and Ended Up in a John Oliver Studio Audience

The Tony awards were distributed on June 7th. I am not sure the show was any more glamorous this year than in prior years but I'm sure glad that Fun Home was recognized. I hope to get to the Circle in the Square one day to see how the show has changed since I saw it at the Public.

In the meantime, I am just enjoying the last days of Spring in New York. 

Last weekend, I headed over to Madison Square Park to the 2015 Big Apple BBQ to partake in a little hog. 



With my belly filled with swine, I walked around the Flatiron, stumbled on an electronic street fair and guiltily purchased a chocolate cookie from The City Bakery

I then headed to 42nd Street to see the Amiri Baraka's final play Most Dangerous Man in America (about W.E.B. Dubois) at the Castillo Theatre. I didn't know much about WEB Dubois' final days and found the play enlightening in this regard. 

After a very brief talkback at the Castillo, I strolled up 11th Ave to The Press Lounge and sipped cocktails while peering at the beautiful NYC skyline and thinking about how much I love and hate the city. 




A little toasty, I then headed up 11th Ave and turned on 57th Street. As I walked across town, I noticed a line waiting outside the CBS studio where John Oliver's Last Week Tonight HBO show is taped. I added my name to a standby list and an hour or so later, I was sitting in a studio audience chuckling and listening to commentary by the petite English comedian. 



Another serendipitous Saturday in NYC...

No comments:

Post a Comment