Friday, December 9, 2011

A Loook at 2011 Broadway Musicals as We Say Rest in Peace to "Bonnie & Clyde"

2011 Broadway Musicals
Ticket sales for Bonnie & Clyde end December 30th suggesting that the show will close after a bad/lukewarm opening only a few short days ago. Bonnie & Clyde is not the worst musical I had ever seen; however, the music is not memorable (never a good sign for a musical) and the book does not tell us anything new about these two notorious outlaws. As I left the theater unfulfilled, I made a mental note to watch the 1967 film starring Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway again.

With the exception of The Book of Mormon, it has not been a really good year for me for Broadway musicals. Let's do a quick
IBDB search and see what other musicals have opened on Broadway since January 1, 2011:



Anything Goes
The Roundabout's revival  of Anything Goes is a grand and pristine musical. However, it felt dated and I will most likely not make an effort to see future revivals. Check out my post on Anything Goes here and the rave reviews it received here.

Baby It's You! and Catch Me If You Can
Which musical is worse - Baby It's You! or Catch Me If You Can? This question was posed by an unseen man behind me at a performance of Catch Me If You Can. Need I say any more. For answer, check out my post
here and reviews here and here.

Follies
The current Follies revival received wonderful reviews. However, my experience at the Marquis Theatre was mixed. I loved the timeless Sondheim songs. However, the book did not really work for me and I was not as moved by Bernadette Peters' performance as I thought I would be. However, after seeing the show, I developed a small obsession with Losing My Mind and finally admitted that Bernadette Peters' rendition resonated most with me. I am almost tempted to see Follies once again before it is kicked out of the Marquis to make way for Evita.

Godspell
During previews, I entered the lottery hoping to see this classic. However, after mediocre reviews and feedback that attempts to modernize the musical are simply lame, I won't be lining up any time soon to see this Stephen Schwartz musical. For those interested, check out reviews here.

Hair
I get that Hair is considered a classic, but I must admit that I do not really get the great appeal of this show. Again, it feels dated. Saw it once. That's enough!

How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying
At Broadway prices, How to Succeed... is another revival that I have little interest in seeing. However reviews have been fine for the most part. Perhaps I should reconsider and see it before Daniel Radcliffe moves on?

Lysistrata Jones
I recently saw Lysistrata Jones in previews. I love the idea of modernizing a Greek classic, but throughout the performance, I could not help but wonder why the show was such a hit during its Off Broadway run. I have doubts that it will survive on Broadway.

On a Clear Day You Can See Forever
I have been reading so many negative things about On A Clear Day... With that said, I do plan to check out the show next week after the it opens. It feels strange attending a show hoping that it won't be as bad as people say. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Priscilla Queen of the Desert
During intermission at Priscilla, I realized that I was a little tense. I wasn't enjoying the show much. Then I exhaled, pretended that I was no longer at a Broadway theater, but downtown (say Christopher St) and made it through the second act. I posted my show advisory here. For those interested, check out reviews here.

Sister Act
Sister Act is a good musical, but not a great one. With original songs, glitz and a familiar story line, it is a safe and reliable bet. Check out my post on how this musical made my mother and aunt smile here and critic reviews here.

Spider-Man
Spider-Man has had a controversial journey. We all know the broken and litigious details. However, while I like the films, I have little interest in seeing the musical. For those interested, check out reviews here.

The Book of Mormon
Aaah, The Book of Mormon is the savior this calendar year. Where Lysistrata Jones fails, The Book of Mormon succeeds. It is young, hip, funny and energetic. It has catchy yet meaningful and memorable songs. However, with tickets prices as high as $477, I am not sure how many regular folks will get to experience the show any time soon. Check out my post here and critic reviews here.

The People in the Picture
I was probably one of the few people who did not think that The People in the Picture was entirely bad. I was sad to see it close so early. Check out reviews here.

Wonderland
Wonderland closed after bad reviews and before I even had a chance to consider whether I wanted to see it. Oh well. Check out some stage door photos after their last performance here.

No comments:

Post a Comment