Monday, October 10, 2011

The Intersection of Reality and Drama

I had problems sleeping on the night I learned that Steve Jobs passed away. I kept thinking over and over about how important one’s health is and how all his wealth could not buy him more time. Words from his Stanford University commencement speech kept echoing in my head:

…for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: ‘If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?’ And whenever the answer has been ‘No’ for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.

On Friday, as I strolled down Fifth Avenue to attend a show at 59E59 Theatres, I was moved by the outpouring of flowers and notes outside the Apple store. Again I was reminded of the importance of health and living life. 

With the wound from the sting of Steve Jobs’ passing still raw, I am in no rush to see Mike Daisey’s The Agony and the Ecstasy of Steve Jobs, which begins tomorrow night at the Public Theater. According to a statement from The Public Theater, the show will still go on however and "...it is inevitable that reality and drama will intersect in surprising, sometimes uncomfortable ways. This isn't to be regretted; it’s to be celebrated." 

I am curious to see if this critical play will be celebrated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment