Friday, September 30, 2011

Quarter Three Theater Roundup!!

 
What a quarter! Hurricane Irene darkened Broadway but spared the city. Stephen Sondheim gave the creative team behind The Gershwins' Porgy and Bess a pen lashing. And I saw a mishmash of theater. Some delighted and some disappointed. 

As I look through my theater roll for the quarter, the number one spot is easy (did someone say something about a horse); however, selecting two and three are a bit more difficult. But after some thinking, here is my final answer. 

1. War Horse - I shed a tear for this wonderful story about a boy and his horse. On Christmas day, Steven Spielberg's film version comes out. Now, millions will get to enjoy this engrossing story.

2. Silence The Musical - I did not get a chance to blog about this parody of the Oscar award winning film - The Silence of the Lambs - maybe because I tried to describe it to a colleague and had a hard time because the show is just so racy. However, a fan of the original film, improv and shows such as SNL, I just got such a kick out of it and giggled my butt off. I am happy to see that it is returning and will begin playing at PS122 late October. If you are a fan of parodies and the film, this is a must see.

3. Hero The Musical  - This was my first Korean musical and I found it and the history of Korea-Japan relations completely fascinating. The amazing train scene as well as the court scene will remain in my memory for a while. I would love to see more Asian shows on the New York City stage.

So, there you have it. However, as the previews begin for this season, I do not have much time to look back at Quarter Three. Already lined up for October 2011 are the following: The Mountaintop, Chinglish and The Atmosphere of Memory. Oh, did I mention that Nina Arianda is coming back to Broadway. I am so excited! 

No comments:

Post a Comment