Tuesday, September 13, 2011

"Carmen Jones" - A Broadway Revival I Would Love to See!!

As I sat on the plaza at Lincoln Center enjoying the beautiful post Irene weather waiting for the free outdoor summer screening of Carmen in HD to begin, I was reminded of a visit to London many years ago when I saw a wonderful performance of Carmen Jones.

Carmen Jones of course is based on the opera Carmen but with a black cast. According to Wikipedia, it originally appeared on Broadway in 1943 and was later made into the well done film in the 50s with the sassy Dorothy Dandridge (Halle, you have nothing on Dorothy) and the talented Harry Belafonte. 

Year after year, various revivals come back to Broadway but no Carmen Jones. How I would love to see it again. 

Please bring Carmen Jones back to Broadway.

1 comment: