Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Jason Moran - Jazz on a High Floor in the Afternoon


Earlier this year on the Blue Sea at Note 2019, I had the honor to experience Jazz pianist's Jason Moran and his band. I recall just sitting in awe of the MacArthur Fellow's virtuosity, happy to be able to observe him in an intimate lounge setting. With that memory, I paused each time I looked at a Whitney Museum email lingering in my inbox promoting Jason Moran's first solo museum show. I knew that I had to see and support the show. 

After looking through the series of performances scheduled over several weeks, I settled on Jazz on a High Floor in the Afternoon: Michela Marino Lerman's Love Movement. - a Jazz tap show performed inside an exhibit paying tribute to three legendary Jazz stages - midtown's Three Deuces, Harlem's Savoy Ballroom and Alphabet City's Slug's Saloon

The performance was truly clever. I enjoyed the tap, which I don't get a chance to see often, and I really got a kick out of seeing the Jazz club replicas, especially Slug's Saloon, which, by the way, on that same Blue Note at Sea cruise I watch I Called Him Morgan about Helen Morgan shooting Jazz trumpeter Lee Morgan in that club. That chair ain't knocked over for no reason.  


Jason Moran's trio The Bandwagon plays the Village Vanguard December 19-21. If you were able to score a ticket, enjoy!! The Whitney exhibit runs through January 5th. 

No comments:

Post a Comment