Monday, April 15, 2019

NSO Pops: An Evening with Cynthia Erivo: Legendary Women’s Voices

Wow, just enjoyed two weekends celebrating African American voices. 

First up, the National Symphony Orchestra joined by Cynthia Erivo singing some of her favorite songs at the Kennedy Center. What a special treat hearing Florence Price's Finale from Symphony No. 3. Unknown to me, Florence Price is the first African-American woman to be recognized as a symphonic composer, and the first to have a composition played by a major orchestra (the Chicago Symphony Orchestra).


Pieces Performed Include:
Starburst 
Ave Maria
I Put a Spell on You
Stormy Weather 
Summertime
Ain’t No Way
I Never Loved a Man
Midnight Train to Georgia

Take Care of This Home
Ne Me Quette Pas
I Who Have Nothing
I'd Rather Go Blind
At Last 
Edelweiss
Take My Hand Precious Lord

Natural Woman

No comments:

Post a Comment