Friday, April 19, 2019

My Quest to See August Wilson's American Century Cycle Continues

I've read August Wilson's 10 play American Century Cycle. However, I haven't seen them all. Several years ago at Signature, I was chitchatting with a fellow theatergoer (from Pittsburgh) who had seen the cycle and was even familiar with the Hill District where 9 of the 10 plays take place. After that conversation, I began a quest to: 

Read the cycle (I did it! Thanks, Julliard), 
Visit the Hill District (I did it! Thanks, Road Dawg),
And see the cycle (I'm working on it!). 

Lucky for me, several theaters have been mounting the cycle with Red Bank's Two River Theater even committing to mount all 10 plays.To cross another play off my list, I recently traveled down to Philly's Arden Theatre Company to see my 7th play of the cycle - Gem of the Ocean. And what can I say - Bravo to Zuhairah for literally bringing Aunt Ester to life before my admiring eyes and inviting me into 839 Wylie Ave. And then thank you for taking me on an uncomfortable painful journey on a slave ship (I honor every African who lost their life during the Middle Passage). 

What an evening...what a quest...



August Wilson's 10 Play American Century Cycle
1900s Gem of the Ocean*
1910s Joe Turner’s Come and Gone
1920s Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom*
1930s The Piano Lesson*
1940s Seven Guitars
1950s Fences*
1960s Two Trains Running*
1970s Jitney*
1980s King Hedley II*
1990s Radio Golf

* Plays seen

2 comments:

  1. I have truly enjoyed "riding in the sidecar" on this journey...... ready to roll again soon!!!!

    Road Dawg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you really enjoyed seeing me chased by that dog at the "Fences" house in the Hill District....

      Delete