Sunday, March 4, 2018

I Tasted Some Madeira Then I Tasted Some Revenge

Every so often I leave the theater feeling like I just returned from an adventure - sort of like I just came off a thrill ride at an amusement park. 

That is how I felt a few Sundays ago after experiencing Aleshea Harris' revenge play Is God Is at Soho Rep

Now just maybe the wonderful tasting of 10-year Madeiras I had beforehand at the luscious terroir in Tribeca had something to do with it...but I don't think so... 

I truly went on a badass adventure and my head was wildly spinning. 

Once my head settled down a little, I looked for meaning in Ms. Harris' play - "a modern myth about twin sisters who sojourn from the Dirty South to the California desert to exact righteous revenge." 

What did it mean? 

I struggled with all sorts of situations (presently and historically) where people would justly want retribution. And what was Ms. Harris saying about these situations. And was she exploring any one in particular. 

And then I thought to myself - Maybe the play is simply a play about revengeScrew reconciliation!

And maybe sometimes, that just needs to happen...

No comments:

Post a Comment