Thursday, August 11, 2016

I'm Going to the Other Signature to See "Jelly's Last Jam"


Over 20 years ago, I saw Jelly's Last Jam on Broadway and I recall loving the production. I loved the book, music, choreography, and oh yeah Gregory Hines and sweet sweet Anita, Tanya Pinkins. It is one of my fondest theater memories. 

Over the years I've wondered if Jelly's Last Jam would ever revive on the New York City Stage. Regrettably, it has not. However, as I type this, a production is taking place at the other Signature, and in a few weeks, I will be traveling to Arlington VA to see it. 

Now, it has been over 20 years. I am a little older. I've seen a heck of a lot of theater since then. And Gregory Hines' Jelly Roll Morton is unprecedented and etched in my memory. 

Will the trip to the other Signature be worth it? 

Will the Signature production reinforce or hurt from my love of this musical? 

I am counting the days and until then, I will enjoy the backstage tour of the Broadway production...thanks youtube!

No comments:

Post a Comment