Sunday, July 24, 2016

I Detoured for "Bursting with Song"

I recently visited Bucks Country for a weekend getaway. Being a theater lover, one would naturally assume that experiencing a production at the famous Bucks County Playhouse was at the top of my list. 

Bucks County Playhouse


However, the current production at the time did not interest me. What interested me however was a small concert production around 30 minutes south in the PA town of Bristol at the Bristol Riverside Theatre - Bursting with Song - a celebration of Broadway tunes performed by African-American performers. 



I loved the performers and was glad that they treated the audience to classics as well as modern tunes such as medley from Broadway's hottest show at the moment - Hamilton

Well worth the detour to a theater that I knew nothing about before my Bucks County trip. 

Bristol Riverside Theatre


"Bursting with Song" Song List:

Act I
Get Happy by Harold Arlen and Ted Koehler
The Birth of the Blues by Ray Henderson, B.G. DeSylva, and Lew Brown
Night and Day by Cole Porter
Come Rain or Come Shine by Harold Arlen and Johnny Mercer
Hit Me With a Hot Note by Duke Ellington and Don George
Sophisticated Lady by Irving Mills, Mitchell Parish, and Duke Ellington 
Ain't Misbehavin by Thomas "Fats" Waller, Harry Brooks, and Andy Razaf
Loungin' at the Waldorf by Thomas "Fats" Waller and Richard Maltby, Jr.
I'm Just Wild About Harry by Noble Sissle and Eubie Blake
The Color Purple by Allee Willis, Brenda Russell, and Stephen Bray

Act II
It Don't Mean a Thing by Duke Ellington and Irving Mills
Selections from Hamilton (History Has Its Eyes On You, My Shot, What'd I Miss) by Lin-Manuel Miranda
Stormy Weather by Harold Arlen and Ted Koehler
Is You Is or Is You Ain't (My Baby) by Billy Austin and Louis Jordan
A Sleepin' Bee by Harold Arlen and Truman Capote
I've Gotta Be Me by Walter Marks
Any Little Thing by Allee Willis, Brenda Russell, and Stephen Bray
What's Goin' On by Marvin Gaye, Al Cleveland, and Renaldo Benson
Black and Blue by Thomas "Fats" Waller, Harry Brooks, and Andy Razaf
A Brand New Day by Luther Vandross

No comments:

Post a Comment