Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Broadway in 2015

2015 Broadway Plays and Musicals
In 2015, the runaway hit on Broadway was without a doubt the innovative Hamilton. I was fortunate to score a ticket right before the opening and await the day when I can return and experience it again. If forced to rank my 2015 Broadway experiences, undoubtedly, Hamilton is my favorite. Next up is A View from the Bridge. I once lamented that I missed the 2010 revival but now know that the Young Vic production was meant to be my first live experience of this Arthur Miller masterpiece. Third place is a tie between The King and I and The Color Purple. Both are fulfilling experiences that remind me why I love the theater. 

Now, here is a recap of top Broadway picks by theater critics in 2015: 

  • NYT: Ben Brantley - Hamilton, King Charles III, A View from the Bridge, Constellations; Fool For Love; The King and I; Skylight; The Color Purple; and Wolf Hall  [here]
  • NYT: Charles Isherwood - Very little Broadway picks by Mr. Isherwood in 2015 - Only An American in Paris and Spring Awakening made the list [here]
  • NYP: Elisabeth Vincentelli - Very little Braodway picks by Ms. Vincentelli as well in 2015 - On her list are On the Twentieth Century and A View from the Bridge [here
  • TONY: Hamilton; A View from the Bridge; King Charles III; Something Rotten!; and Skylight  [here]
  • NYMag: Jesse Green - Hamilton and A View from the Bridge [here]
  • amNY: Matt Windman - Hamilton; Fun Home; Spring Awakening; Sylvia; The Color Purple; and Hand to God [here]
  • Hollywood Reporter: David Rooney - Hamilton; A View from the Bridge; The King and I; Fun Home; The Color Purple; Constellations; King Charles III; and An American in Paris [here]
  • AP: Mark Kennedy - Hamilton; Fun Home; An American in Paris; King Charles III; The King and I; Constellations; A View from the Bridge; Something Rotten! Skylight; and Spring Awakening [here]
  • NJ: Christopher Kelly - Hamilton; Fun Home; Therese Raquin; Fool for Love; The Color Purple; Hand to God; and Fiddler on the Roof  [here] 



No comments:

Post a Comment