Monday, January 28, 2013

Sunday Marathon - Four Shows in One Day


Okay okay, with running times decreasing more and more, fours shows in one day is not that impressive these days. But seeing these shows for roughly $70 is. Thanks to 20at20 and other discount programs, I may have fallen into bed last night exhausted but I wasn't broke.

So, let's take a look at my marathon Sunday. 

After a robust lunch and a negroni sbagliato at The John Dory, power walked over to Chelsea and caught Rolin Jones' Jammer (Running Time: 90 minutes) at the Atlantic Theater Company. What a pleasant way to spend a Sunday afternoon, watching a light comedy about the Roller Derby in 1958 in my beloved Brooklyn. Made me want to ride the cyclone again. 



Next, ducked into Brooklyn Industries and check out the sale racks before jumping on the subway and heading to midtown to check out Rain Pryor's Fried Chicken and Latkes (Running Time: 60 minutes). More on this one later in the week.

Next, headed over to "one of many" Peter Jay Sharp Theaters to see Martin Moran's monologue All The Rage (Running Time: 75 minutes). Witty, forgiving and soft spoken, Martin Moran is someone I would want to know in person. His one man show did not completely resonate with me, but I could probably spend the whole evening listening to him, if I was at a party sitting on a comfortable couch with a cocktail in my hand and not between a man sleeping on my right and a young girl checking her watch every 5 minutes on my left. 

Still energized though, searched for XL, NYC's newest gay club and home to last night's Broadway Bares' Winter Burlesque (Running Time: Roughly 60 minutes). A club filled with men, me and maybe 10 other women (including actress Judith Light) enjoyed 25 Broadway dancers stripteasing to the following burlesque program to benefit Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS. What a glorious sight...I mean night!!

Winter Burlesque Program
Burlesque is Back
Fringe Benefits
By the Sea
Spellbound
Raise the Roost
Talk to the Hand
Exotic
Banker
A Big Man
Zarley the Great (Vocalist)
Rotation (freestyle dance for donations)  

No comments:

Post a Comment