Monday, December 24, 2012

Baby It's Christmas Outside


What it is about bio-musicals on both stage and film that just don't quite work for me? They always seem flimsy, rushed, and more determined to present a revue flooded with the music of its subject than to present a compelling biography. While I admired the efforts of Kirsten Holly Smith (Dusty) and Christina Sajous (Claire) in Forever Dusty now playing at New World Stages, this "bio-musical" is unfortunately no different. And for those of you who recall Ms. Sajous from Baby Its You! (about 60s girl group the Shirelles) that too was no different.

Dusty in Memphis has always been a part of my CD collection. Who doesn't enjoy Son of a Preacher Man and that smooth, sultry voice? But who was Dusty Springfield? I knew very little about Ms. Springfield's life prior to seeing this show. Admittedly, I am now a bit more educated on how R&B inspired her, how a British gal ended up in Memphis, her addiction and how she was "perfectly capable of being swayed by a girl as a boy." So, yes, I've gotten a taste. But if I want more, I will have to pick up a good biography, and if I want to hear the real thing, open my iTunes library or pop in that old CD. 

Whether you enjoyed Forever Dusty or not, please enjoy this cute video of Kirsten Holly Smith and Christina Sajous singing Baby It's Cold Outside this holiday season. 

1 comment:

  1. I like this rendition of this song and oh sooooooo appropriate on this FRIGID Christmas Eve........

    ReplyDelete