Thursday, July 12, 2012

My First and Last Barnes and Noble CD Signing

 
On Tuesday, the two-disc CD set of the 2012 Encores! cast recording of Merrily We Roll Along was released by PS Classics. To celebrate the occasion and sell some CDs, composer-lyricist Stephen Sondheim and certain members of the the cast of the Encores! production appeared at the Upper East Side location of Barnes and Noble for a CD signing. 

Having enjoyed the City Center production and wanting to see one of the greatest Broadway composers of all time, I ventured to the UES, arriving at Barnes and Noble at approximately 3PM to a long line outside a filled events room on the lower level of the store. After some confusion, I was finally instructed to purchase the $22 CD which retails for $12 on Amazon.com and $15 on PS Classics' site and then go to a standby line. Reassured by a store rep that I had a good chance of getting the CD signed, I unwrapped the CD and stood in line. I made small talk with fellow Sondheim lovers around me, was tickled by youngsters leaving the events room with tears in their eyes, spotted a boy who I was told saw Godspell over 90 times, and snapped this photo of a budding musical theater composer and her friend.
 
 
Two endless hours later, an indifferent representative finally told us that no more CDs would be signed. Stuck with an opened unsigned CD, I left Barnes and Noble dejected vowing never to be suckered into purchasing their overpriced CDs ever again. 

Other Posts/Links
Link to Theatermania's review of Merrily We Roll Along

No comments:

Post a Comment