Monday, July 16, 2012

Extra! Extra!! I Liked "Newsies The Musical"

During this slow summer period on Broadway, I find myself seeing shows that are not high on my Theater Wish List. Last Wednesday, with the following New York Times theater review quote still in my head...

 But that doesn’t stop them from burning energy like toddlers on a sugar high at a birthday party.

...and a belly filled with Crisp hummus and ice tea, I headed to the outer perimeter of New York's theater district to see Disney's Newsies The Musical [Music:Alan Menken; Lyrics: Jack Feldman; Book: Harvey Fierstein]. 

Not long into the first act after watching the leaping, pirouetting newsboys, I began to feel like I did the first time I went on Mission Space at Disney's Epcot - a little dizzy, a little nauseous. However, using the cute and charming Jeremy Jordan as my anchor, I got pass this and was drawn this story of corporate struggle done Disney style.



Meet newsboy Jack Kelly (played by Jeremy Jordan). It is the summer of 1899 in Lower Manhattan. Joseph Pulitzer has just raised the distribution price of newspapers cutting into the newsies income. Determined not to be stomped on by the man, led by Jack Kelly, the newsies and other child laborers throughout the city unite and strike back.

If you like cute and adorable leading men, Disney, and an energetic story about struggle, grab your dramamine, leap over to the Nederlander Theatre and check out Newsies The Musical.  

Musical Numbers
Santa Fe
Carrying the Banner
The Bottom Line
That's Rich
I Never Planned on You/Don't Come a-Knocking
The World Will Know
Watch What Happens
Seize the Day
Santa Fe
King of New York
Watch What Happens (Reprise)
Brooklyn's Here
Something to Believe In
Seize the Day (Reprise)
Once and for All 
Seize the Day (Reprise)
Finale

Link to reviews of Newsies The Musical

No comments:

Post a Comment