Monday, April 9, 2012

Drunken Words from Eugene O'Neill's "A Moon for the Misbegotten"

The Pearl Theater Company's current production is A Moon for the Misbegotten - Eugene O'Neill's follow up to Long Day's Journey into Night. After watching the play, which first premiered in 1947, I was struck by the various "drunken" words in the play; some I have not heard in years. Let's take a look at some of them.  
 
Blotto - drunk.
You must have seen how blotto I was, didn’t you.

D.T.’s (Delirium Tremens) – the shakes.
You didn’t get the D.T.’s from my whiskey.

Heebie jeebies - A feeling of anxiety, apprehension or illness.
…he’s blue and heebie-jeebies are after him…

Soused – To make intoxicated.
Trying to get me soused, Josie?

Stewed - Intoxicated, drunk.
I guess I'm more stewed than I thought…

Stinko - Intoxicated, drunk.
I've never seen him that stinko before. Must have got him all of a sudden. He didn't seem so lit up at the Inn, but I guess I wasn't paying much attention.

Teetotaller - One who abstains completely from alcoholic beverages.
You're such a virtuous teetotaller—

Rotgut - Raw, inferior liquor
That isn't Phil's rotgut. That's real, honest-to-God bonded Bourbon.

Temperance - Restraint in the use of or abstinence from alcoholic liquors.
They was too busy preaching temperance to have time for a drink. 

No comments:

Post a Comment