Monday, December 26, 2011

The Best of the Best Theater and My Personal Favorites- 2011



Year end “top 10” lists are great. Whether the list relates to theater, films, apps, books, music, news stories, vacations spots, I pour through them, make notes, reserve items at the local library, and queue films on Netflix. Only the best for this blogger!!

To date, I’ve identified
10 best of lists related to plays and musicals from publications such as The New York Times, New York Magazine, Time Out New York, etc. After examining the lists, here are the plays/musicals that appear most often and I guess we could say are the best theater of 2011 according to critics.

The Book of Mormon
Follies
Jerusalem
Other Desert Cities

War Horse
Good People
The Normal Heart


Personally, if I had to put together my own top 10 lists based on not just what opened in 2011 but plays/musicals I’ve see (check out my Theater Roll for list), it would be the following: 1) Sleep No More; 2) The Book of Mormon; 3) War Horse; 4) Gatz; 5) The Normal Heart; 6) Silence The Musical; 7) Unnatural Acts; 8) Jerusalem; 9) No Child...; and 10) The Importance of Being Earnest. I’ve seen many shows that I’ve enjoyed this year. However, these shows continue to resonate with me, whether they were original, unique, clever, extremely entertaining, or taught me something new about the human condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment