Wednesday, November 9, 2011

And I Am Not Feeling Sutton Foster's Performance...

Meet the Dreamettes – an African American trio girl group comprised of Effie, Deena and Lorrell. Hungry to make the trio into superstars, their manager Curtis pushes a side the heavyset and sassy lead Effie and makes the more commercial Deena (after all, she is fair and slim) the star of the group. As resentment and Curtis’ child grows within Effie, she creates tension within the group and misses performances. Finally, a driven Curtis (backed by Deena, Lorrell and Effie’s brother) kicks the secretly pregnant Effie out of the group.

Defiant, heartbroken, angry, determined, raw – Effie (most famously played by Jennifer Holliday) powerfully and longingly sings what I think is one of the best Broadway tunes ever - And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going from Dreamgirls (Book & Lyrics: Tom Eyen; Music: Henry Krieger):

Tear down the mountains,
Yell, scream and shout.
You can say what you want,
I'm not walkin' out.
Stop all the rivers,
Push, strike, and kill.
I'm not gonna leave you,
There's no way I will.
While on youtube.com, I stumbled upon this version of And I am Telling You I’m Not Going by the talented Sutton Foster. Now I do not know the context of her performance here, but while many youtubers seem to be amused by Ms. Sutton’s theatrics and "diva" gyrations, I (usually a fan of parodies) am not. I truly do not understand how someone (especially a Broadway professional) can make fun of this amazing song. 


No comments:

Post a Comment