Monday, July 11, 2011

Playlist Addition: The Oldest Profession from "The Life"

I recently saw The Best is Yet to Come: The Music of Cy Coleman at 59E59 Theaters. After Lillias White's showstopping rendition of The Oldest Profession from The Life, I was reminded of how much I enjoy her performance of this song. 

Unfortunately, I did not see The Life when it was on Broadway; however, I never missed Ms. White's cabaret at the Arci's Place, which used to be on Park Avenue South. I even picked up her From Brooklyn To CD at one of her shows and have enjoyed her voice for years (including in Fela! last year). 

So, while Chris Isherwood of The New York Times finds the lyrics to The Oldest Profession "unhappily repellant", I've seen audience members eat up Ms. White's fun performance of this song time and time again as they did at a recent performance of The Best is Yet to Come: The Music of Cy Coleman

This song now gets a permanent spot on my Broadway Playlist.

No comments:

Post a Comment