Monday, July 25, 2011

Death is a Cute Blond Guy

In an era of corporate cutbacks and downsizing, HR generalists are sometimes referred to as "grim reapers." Departments scatter when these bearers of bad news come around because they simply do not know what to expect.

As I chitchatted about this concept with a colleague, I could not help but bring up the Roundabout Theatre Company's
Death Takes a Holiday which I saw while in previews at the Laura Pels Theatre. For some reason, I can relate almost any situation - business or pleasure - to something that I have seen on the NYC stage. Death decides to take a holiday from taking lives in order to experience the joys of being human. He takes the form of the handsome Prince Sirki, played by Julian Ovenden.

As I talked through the plot of the musical, my colleague asked if I had ever seen The Twilight Zone episode with Robert Redford. I tried to think of all the marathons I sat through but could not recall the episode. However, thanks to
youtube.com, I was able to pull it up rather quickly and watch it. An incredibly youthful and handsome Robert Redford plays Death. 

When Death is a handsome, nice young man (and not the frightening
grim reaper), I guess it is easier for a young woman to leave her family and go with him when he completes his brief holiday and for an elderly woman to open the door and finally let him in.  
 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment