Monday, June 13, 2011

I Survived the Tony Telecast!

After spending the day chowing down excessive amounts of cue at the Big Apple BBQ Block Party in Madison Square Park, I drank an energy drink and challenged myself (after my May 1st blog entry) to sit through the telecast of the 65th Annual Tony Awards.


You know what. I did it!! Yes, I had wine, cheese and an iPad to help me through the telecast, but I made it. And while there were no real surprises, there were few memorable moments:
  • Neil Patrick Harris's opening. That's right, Broadway is no longer just for gays only.
  • Nikki James' emotional acceptance speech
  • Hugh Jackman (come on, who doesn't love him) and Neil Patrick Harris' number
  • Frances McDormand wearing what looks like a denim jacket. By the way, did she even bother to brush her hair?
  • The disco performance by Paul Shaffer, Martha Washington and the cast of Priscilla Queen of the Desert (we are on to you Tony producers - trying to keep the audience's energy up with a bit of disco and drag)
  • Another strange acceptance speech by Mark Rylance
  • Chris Rock's delivery of Best Musical to SURPRISE The Book of Mormon (come on, the hooker joke was funny as well as the subsequent dedication to co-writer Joseph Smith)

No comments:

Post a Comment