Thursday, May 5, 2011

A Whole Lot of Stars But A Whole Lot of Boredom


I cringed as I heard an actor say the "c" word for the second time this week (ironically in two plays published in the 1970s). The lady to my left was asleep (Theater Pet Peeve #9) and I was not happy. 

That pretty much sums up my experience at a recent performance of Jason Miller's That Champion Season at the Bernard B. Jacob's Theatre.
The 1973 Pulitzer and the male star power of Brian Cox, Jim Gaffigan, Chris Noth, and Kiefer Sutherland could not save this drama for me. Please note that Jason Patric was intentionally left off the list due to his skit-ish performance.

Overall, I did not like the unfunny racist Archie Bunkeresque dialogue. If this drama is representative of our country in the early 1970s, then I am glad that this period is behind us.

No comments:

Post a Comment