Monday, May 2, 2011

Nuns Galore!!


Dancing nuns, singing nuns, doubtful nuns, foul mouth nuns, mysterious nuns, Pope-seeking nuns... We can't seem to get enough of nuns at the theater.

While Charles Busch's hilarious The Divine Sister at the Soho Playhouse closes, theatergoers will continue to have their fill of nuns with Sister Act, which recently opened at the Broadway Theatre to mixed reviews (even though good things are being said about Patina Miller). My mother, a Whoopi fan, has already informed me that she would like me to pick up tickets for a matinee in the near future.

I recall many many years ago when my Catholic school friends and I trekked into the theater district to see Nunsense.  We got such a kick out of it. Since then,  I've seen several productions featuring nuns. 

So, what is it - what is our fascination with nuns? Any why do playwrights love writing about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment